By Mark Hersberger. As previously announced, UC Tech returns August 15-17, hosted by UC San Diego.
An annual conference, UC Tech brings together technologists systemwide to celebrate innovation and collaboration. Each day features a broad spectrum of talks and engagement opportunities to enlighten, enrich, and encourage.
UC Tech dates back to 1982 and this year’s theme is “40 Years of Connections.” After two years apart, we’re celebrating the opportunity to reconnect face-to-face and bring together people, processes, systems, insights, and ideas.
We’re working to open our registration portal in the next few weeks. For your planning purposes, below are options we’re putting together.
On Campus – $225 per person. Join us in-person at UC San Diego, August 15-17! This package includes
- Monday evening welcome reception
- Tuesday and Wednesday breakfasts and lunches
- Tuesday evening awards ceremony
- Two days of keynotes, workshops, and panels
- Swag bag
- Sponsor expo
- Tours, games and activities
- Networking opportunities
Virtual – $50. Participate at your campus or from home! This option includes two days of programming, swag bag (supplies limited), and other opportunities for online engagement.
Lodgings. For those coming to San Diego, we’re able to offer, subject to availability
- Single rooms in shared apartments in UC San Diego residence halls for $130.
- A special rate of $193/night (plus fees and taxes) at the nearby Sheraton La Jolla.
Visit the UC Tech website for more details on accommodations and a list of other nearby hotels.
Call for Proposals Reminder – New Deadline May 8
UC Tech is by, for, and about our systemwide technical community. If you’ve got a topic to share, remember to submit your proposal. The deadline has been extended to May 8.
If you’re wondering if you should submit or not, here are some tips:
- If it’s a topic that you’re passionate about, then submit!
- You can submit solo or as part of a panel.
- It can be a technical deep dive or another area where you have expertise, like public speaking, career management, etc.
- The committee is looking for a broad and diverse selection of people and topics – first timers and experienced pros welcome!
UC Tech Awards
You’ve done great work this past year and deserve to be recognized! The annual awards program has been revamped and expanded under the new name of UC Tech Awards. It includes:
- Traditional Sautter Awards for innovation
- New lifetime impact award
- New awards for collaboration, IT security, operational efficiency, and design.
Check out the UC Tech Awards website for criteria and procedures. Submissions due May 30!
Our goal is to produce the closest version to a traditional UC Tech conference that you’ve come to expect. Nevertheless, there will be some limits on what we can do. The UC San Diego campus has only recently re-opened for events and gatherings, and key facilities we’d normally rely on are in use for COVID testing and vaccinations.
- Overall attendance will be capped at around 400 attendees, and that includes sponsors, speakers, and other guests.
- UC Tech will be conducted in accordance with prevailing UC San Diego guidelines, as stated on the Return to Learn website. These guidelines are subject to change between now and August, but we’ll do our best to update on-campus attendees as the event approaches.