The UC Information Technology Leadership Council (ITLC) is announcing the expanded UC Tech Awards Program for 2022. The program includes the long-standing Sautter Awards, which recognizes team projects, and five new awards to honor individuals or teams for outstanding contributions to technology at UC.
Applications for awards are due May 30, 2022. Visit the UC Tech Awards Program website for information on how to apply or to nominate individuals or teams.
“In my life, there has been no greater recognition than peer recognition,” said Van Williams, vice president for Information Technology at the UC Office of the President. “The UC Tech Awards are an opportunity for us to recognize the amazing peers who impact us.”
The five new awards are as follows:
- IT Security Award. The award is given to an individual or team that advanced IT security at UC through awareness and training, policy, technical controls, and/or IT security hygiene. Projects that intersect with legal, privacy, and compliance are eligible.
- UC Collaboration Award. The award is given to an individual or team that conducted a strong collaborative technology initiative across two or more UC locations, across a UC campus and UC health system, and/or with other UC partners.
- Operational Excellence Award. The award is given to an individual or team that transformed a business process (via reliability, speed, scale, efficiency, and/or effectiveness), whether through business process design, automation, customer service, digital transformation, or another initiative.
- Design Award. The award is given to an individual or team that transformed one or more touch points through the application of various design disciplines (eg, visual design, interaction design, user experience (UX) design, customer experience (CX) design and/or industrial design) to improve usability and/or create a more elegant experience for everyone, including people with disabilities.
- Lifetime Impact Award. One award each year recognizes an individual who, over time, has contributed significant expertise, passion, and commitment to UC as evidenced by a portfolio of work supporting the technology arena.
The Sautter Awards will continue to be selected:
- Sautter Award for Innovation in Information Technology. The award is given to a team for having implemented an innovative technology project that has had significant beneficial impact on UC’s academic/research mission, student life, business operations, patient care, or public service mission. Innovation is defined as the new application of technology, the creative use of limited resources, or an emphasis on collaboration to a solve a problem.
For twenty-two years, the Sautter Award has been the systemwide awards program for the UC technology community. Each year, up to five awards and five honorable mentions were given for innovative projects that were implemented and operational, had significant beneficial impact on the university, and represented an innovative solution or approach to a problem.
The ITLC created the expanded UC Tech Awards Program to have more opportunities to recognize both projects and people. Starting in 2022, Sautter Awards will be given for outstanding projects and recognize teamwork, as in the past; and five new awards will be given to individuals or teams and will celebrate their achievements in high-priority areas, perhaps represented via a portfolio of work rather than a specific project.
Awards will be chosen by a committee of UC location CIOs. One Golden and one Silver award will be given in each award category, including the Sautter Awards, and the awards will be announced at the annual UC Tech Conference. If you have questions, please contact Program Coordinator Yvonne Tevis.